Numerous developments fronting the south side of Wye Road, including Wye Gardens, Wye Crossing, Salisbury Village and the Estates of Sherwood Park, are also within the community.
The first homes within the community were marketed to the public in 1955.
Canada Post intervened on the name of Campbelltown due to the existence of several other communities in Canada within the same name, so the community's name was changed to Sherwood Park in 1956.
The majority of the community is bound by Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway) to the north, Highway 21 to the east, Highway 630 (Wye Road) to the south, and Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216) to the west.
The Refinery Row portion of Sherwood Park is located across Anthony Henday Drive to the west, between Sherwood Park Freeway (Highway 100) and Highway 16.
Sherwood Park has enough people to be Alberta's seventh largest city, but technically retains the status of a hamlet.
The Government of Alberta recognizes the Sherwood Park Urban Service Area as equivalent to a city.Sherwood Park, originally named Campbelltown, was founded by John Hook Campbell and John Mitchell in 1953 when the Municipal District of Strathcona No.83 approved their proposed development of a bedroom community east of Edmonton.Notes: Sherwood Park was listed under its original name of Campbelltown in the 1956 federal census.Populations from 19 federal censuses are not published by Statistics Canada or Alberta Municipal Affairs.Sherwood Park has a strong economy with over $9.0 billion worth of major projects completed, announced, or under construction.